Thursday, December 17, 2009

New Hardware

I'd been holding off for a while, but I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a new computer: an HP dv8t. It's a pretty souped up beast and a hefty sized "laptop" at that, but I hope this will last a while. It's super fast and got a ton of memory, as well as having a full 1920x1080 screen—which is superb for video editing.

With all the progress I'd made on the City KREW project, I was really noticing the limitations of my previous laptop (HP dv5237cl). It had served me well for three years, but with the compositing and editing in full HD, it really wasn't up to the task. For example, in After Effects it would take up to 60 seconds to display an updated frame of the comp in full resolution at 25% zoom. The comp consisted of the background AVCHD video with a Cartoon effect applied and the stop motion comp on top with a mask, Keylight effect and Brightness/Contrast effect.

The new machine renders it in 3 seconds at 50% zoom. Sweet! I know that the biggest advantage will be when I come down to rendering out the finished comps for editing. It'll probably save me days!

No comments:

Post a Comment